View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #47
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I'm glad we're now fighting about whether or not we'll be drinking wine at the judgment bar...

ANYWAY...regardless of what the scriptures say, my heart (and brain) agree with Solon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I personally don't believe in the bishop-confession routine. It's not exactly scriptural. I know we have scriptures about confession - but those specifically state that it's okay to confess privately to the person you've offended (D&C 42). Not behind closed doors with a third party - a male bishop (probably very uncomfortable for females if the sin is sexual in nature).

I'd just tell her to come back to church and work out her repentance in her own way. If she feels that she needs to talk with an ecclesiastic leader to get it off her chest and ease her conscience, then she should do it. Otherwise, I don't consider it a necessary step.

I know, I know. Everyone is going to disagree. Fine. But I stick to my guns. As laid out in scripture (specifically, D&C 42), confessions are supposed to be either carried out between offender and offended, or in public if the offender offended a lot of people. For instance, Sylvester Smith - the oft-maligned malcontent of Zion's Camp - published his apology to Joseph Smith in a public forum - in the Messenger and Advocate (HC 2.160).

Now, if you want to argue that confessing to the bishop is the same as confessing "to God" (D&C 42.92), then you have a case. I personally don't see it as such.

To me, the introduction of the bishop into the confession process is a later development. While it's probably not a bad idea, I don't see it as necessary, since repentance is between a sinner, god, and the offended.
I think the confession and discipline process is a little bizarre. In my own personal experience, it felt strange involving a bishop in what seemed a very personal matter. Despite his best intentions and sincere interest in me, I can't really point to any way in which he helped me, and I can think of examples of other people getting very bad advice from bishops. Additionally, I think it shifts teenagers focus away from the real eternal consequences of their actions to the immediate disciplinary actions. And it discourages people like my sister from reapproaching the ward.

I can understand its role in a limited number of cases in which the church's reputation or the well-being of other members or units is threatened. I'm not sure I would put a case of adultery in that list.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote