View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #33
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Isn't the solution for gay members to exit? I can't see any other pragmatic solution for them. This is not a recommendation for the Church to ask them to exit, but what the Church requires is too difficult in reality to ask of people. Here live celibate. Not going to happen.

And you're not going to find a theological position that justifies gay sex. So it's an impassable position for churches such as the LDS Church.

Thus the only real life solution is to exit the Church, as a personal choice, not as a request by the Church.
While I agree, I am sure that simply up and leaving the church is still difficult for many gay and lesbian Mormons. First, there is the issue with your testimony. You may still believe the church is true even though what you want out of life goes against its tenets. Then there is isolating yourself from family. While they may be loving and supportive, you still know of their disappointment. Then leaving the church also means leaving the culture you were raised in.

So yes, the best thing would be to leave, but it can't be easy. When you're raised Mormon, I just don't think you can make a clean break.