View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #46
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Nobody except you is positing a diagnosis. I dont know that ratios of autism or ASD are even relevent here. What's that all about? I don't know why you feel qualified to condemn "milestone paranoia". Clearly you aren't. You sound like a cleric railing against "intellectuals" and "philosophers." You don't know what you're talking about.

Some of us are being explicit (Waters is the most extreme example) here so that folks like you and Cardiac don't mislead into complacency, when there are so many resources to help young children with developmental hiccups, or more serious problems. There didn't used to be antibiotics, now there are. Now we have sophisticated means of checking hearing, all kinds of things, and helping children learn to speak. There are developmental benefits to speaking at 2 and a half.
The issue isn't whether there are developmental benefits to speaking at 2.5. It is whether it is out of the range of normal to not be speaking very much at 2.5. And it is not. So no need for paranoia once the doc gives the parents the green light. If you get a second opinion, fine. All the better.

Nobody has ever said to not enroll kids into therapy or classes, nor to avoid diagnoses. I have never once advised anyone to not seek medical advice.

I believe it is you who is being misleading on this one.

You also ignore Cardiac's reality....that misdiagnosis is not uncommon. I know at least 5 of my wife's friends that are worried their kids has autism. Why? One of the women read on the internet that if a kid likes to watch wheels spin, that the kid may have autism. And so one day, the mom noticed that the boy was playing with his train and looking at the wheels as he pushed the train along the track.

Maybe I am just a rarity in that I happen to befriend or converse online with all the autistics in the country. Or maybe people need to chill out a bit and stop playing WebMD because their kid is shy.

I say go with what a doc advises, not what anyone here advises (including myself). Despite your chest thumping, you know no more about this than anyone else here.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote