View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 02:35 AM   #42
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

The tone of this entire thread is surprising, if not disheartening.

I would like to think that the majority of the participants of this board are not out to make themselves appear superior to others here, nor is anybody out to subvert or destroy anybody else's convictions. I really believe that, for the most part, we're here to learn. I, personally, have profited greatly from the discussions I've read on this board, and can honestly say that my own testimony has been strengthened by the examination of all that I have come across, whether it is flattering to the image of the church and its leaders or not.

Furthermore, what I've learned here has helped strengthen not only my own convictions, but it has helped me discuss these same issues (with which members are going to be confronted, whether they like it or not) and aid others in understanding these issues. Just yesterday, I had a long conversation with a member of the church whose friend confronted her with polygamy, blacks and the priesthood, and several other issues which demanded answers. To shrug off these issues and ignore them is to marginalize and dismiss the legitimate concerns of sincere seekers of truth, and as such, is tantamount to neglecting our responsabilities of perfecting the saints and preaching the gospel.

Truth can be found in sources far more widespread than we will ever have the opportunity to scour. To close off any source of truth is self deprivation. Even so, one would be wise to remember that some issues are subordinate to others. For example, issues of polygamy, blacks and the priesthood, the mountain meadows massacre, and a hundred and one other mostly negative topics are all subordinate to the question of whether or not Joseph Smith was a prophet. The danger of picking up more and more wisdom is letting what we don't know upstage what we do. That takes quite a bit of maturity as a learner, but that should mean it is something we aspire to, rather than shun.

"Et cognoscetis veritatem, et veritas liberabit vos."