View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #37
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Aside from your "total parental hours" point, you need to ask yourself this question, "How important do I want to be in my kids' life?" Ask yourself that for yourself as well as for them. Forget mom for a minute. Relying on mom to pick up the slack shows that dad is missing a fundamental issue related to his own and his childrens' souls that doesn't necessarily have anythng to do with mom. Ask the question for yourself, and for your kids, factoring mom out of the equation just for clarity of analysis.
Points taken. The funny thing about my family is that I am a complete homebody and I'm pretty sure I would love to be a stay-at-home dad. My wife is the exact opposite and would probably be happier working outside of the home. She had a pretty tough time adjusting to staying home full-time after we had our third child (she worked part-time until then).

I don't have too much control over my work schedule right now. I'm not sure I buy the "fundamental issue related to the soul" stuff, but I agree that both parents need to spend as much time as is economically feasible with their kids.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote