View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Try to work this quote into your lesson, because it seems perfect for your topic.

"Men rejoice at being led like cattle again, with the terrible gift of freedom that brought them so much suffering removed from them . . . . We will convince them that they will only be free when they have surrendered their freedom and submitted to us . . . . Freedom, free thought, and science will lead them into such straits and will bring them face to face with such marvels and insoluble mysteries, that some of them, the fierce and rebellious, will destroy themselves, others, rebellious but weak, will destroy one another, while the rest, weak and unhappy, will crawl fawning to our feet and whine to us: 'Yes, you were right, you alone possess His mystery, and we come back to you, save us from ourselves!'"

Seriously, I may do this, albeit probably not for the reasons that prompted you. For the few who may not know the source, I believe it comes from "The Grand Inquisitor," a chapter from The Brothers Karamazov and which many regard as one of the finest passages in all literature.

I first read and discussed the book from which the quote comes in a class taught by Arthur Henry King (of Cambridge and former U.K. Assistant Director-General in charge of education who joined the Church) and Gary Browning (a professor of Russian literature). The class would often begin with prayer, a fact I suppose you would find ironic, but that I found inspiring. Thanks for the suggestion.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote