View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Jay, I think you are being too hard on the standard interpretation. I think grace is pretty fully part of it. Even in that view the idea isn't that you can overcame temptation by yourself it is that because you have entered into a covenant with God that he will give you the strength and provide a way to "escape" from the temptation. The last part of the verse clearly indicates that God will make an escape possible. I don't think I have heard the standard view ever contradict that notion. That makes this verse and the standard view very much about grace even if most commentators don't make that explicit.

My only objection is to the word "temptation." I think Paul is talking more generally about testing from God as reflecting in modern translations:

Quote:
12 So if you think you are standing, watch out that you do not fall. 13 No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.

Last edited by pelagius; 07-17-2008 at 03:42 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote