View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Doesn't the standard interpretatioin imply a possibility for perfection, then?

If the escape = abstinence from sin, and this is grace based in that God is the one providing the escape, how does one reconcile that with the idea that we are all sinners and not one of us is successful in this escape? God doesn't seem to be living up to his part of the bargain if the escape truly is the triumph over temptation by abstaining from sin.
I don't think so. I think the idea here is that there is no temptation (or "test," if you prefer) that is insurmountable. There is nothing that Satan, or God for that matter, can throw at a human that he is not ultimately capable of overcoming.

To believe otherwise, to me, suggests a doctrine of predestination. If there is some certain temptation or test that cannot ever be overcome, does that not predestinate the person afflicted with it to sin?

Sin is a choice. Yielding to temptation is a choice. That we make that choice despite God's reaching is no referendum on the quality or efficacy of his grace. IMO.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote