Thread: Lake Powell
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #30
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It just seemed to me to be prohibitively expensive to have both a houseboat and a ski boat.
You aren't going to have a cheaper vacation going to Lake Powell. It's still going to cost money. But when you go down with 5 families and split the costs equally, it becomes more fun and not nearly as expensive. We've had a time share on a houseboat for 2-3 weeks a year since I was 10 or so, and have gone down one week with 4 families from my parents home ward, and the other week (or two) is split up between about 12 adult couples. Doing it that way really negates a lot of the cost, and when everybody brings down their different 'toys' (wakeboards, skis, air chairs, wake surfs, knee boards, tubes, etc) you can learn new things and it's a lot of fun.

We usually have 2 ski boats and a couple of jet skis that make the drive down. The boats are good for being pulled, the jet skis are good for exploring and just driving around.

The good thing about Lake Powell is typically even if your family doesn't own a boat, you know somebody who does. One of the more fun trips to Powell was with our Young Men group (which wasn't in a ward that was upper-class) and I don't think I knew of anybody in High School that didn't at least have an opportunity to go down.

Also, there are many people who head down there and camp on the beach with a ski boat.

I grew up with Jet Skis, so I learned to Air Chair, Wakeboard and Knee board behind a jet ski. Once I was pulled behind a boat, it was cake. I don't think I could go back.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote