View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #23
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
The whole thing may or may not be coercive. Or is may or may not be informed (at least to some extent). I'm sure most kids who are raised in the church are genuinely excited--it's a milestone in their lives.

But most here seem to agree that it's not so much a "decision" they make, which begs the question I started with. Why were all the speakers saying that to this child: how great her decision, how important her decision, Heavenly Father is proud of her decision. What do people mean by that? It's good this is happening to you?
The notion of an informed deciison is a tricky one on this sort of issue. Looking back as a 40 year old no one would think they were capable of making a mature decions at 8. Of course, a 40 year old usually thinks they were completely lost at 18, too, even though when 18 the same person thought they knew exactly everyhting there was to know. How many here, for example, are rather confident that a 50 year old Waters will look back at his posts from 2006 and chuckle at what a knucklehead he was at times?

I am sure that the notion of accountability is important here. By 8, one is typically able to determine what is right or worng (I guess htis might mean effectively employ the light of Christ) and so the time for baptism is approrpiate. The percevied scope and import of the convenants asssumed by baptism will change over time as the person matures and learns and changes. Thje 8 year old chooses to be baptized in the important sense of choosing the right thing. Is it as informed as it could be if he waited until he was 20? not in some ways, but from his perspective it is and, on this issue, that is enough.