View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #117
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
My kids don't get to make the important choices in their lives and this is no exception. They don't get to choose what school they go to, whether they will be vaccinated, whether they get to watch media that I think is inappropriate or whether they are going to brush their teeth.

My job is to establish a baseline for my kids. If when they want to reach adulthood, they want to reject some of what I have taught them, if they want to adopt nuanced positions, if they want to come to different conclusions then that will be their right. But they are not going to grow up without a a framework having been erected for them to make these choices within, without a tradition that they can ultimately accept or reject.

This is why baptism is an important ritual that we subject our children to. It makes them part of a community that they are going to have because I think it is important and sets them on the path of a life style that I want them to have. No part of this is a choice for them, and again, when they become adults they are free to do what they want, to choose different traditions, lifestyles, or paths. There won't be any ambiguity in their minds, however, about what their Dad thought was important, whatever they choose.
I want to hear Levin, Creekster and Jay argue how this approach really is true free agency and an informed free choice.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote