View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #137
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mosiah 18: 7-11

And it came to pass after many days there were a goodly number gathered together at the place of Mormon, to hear the words of Alma. Yea, all were gathered together that believed on his word, to hear him. And he did teach them, and did preach unto them repentance, and redemption, and faith on the Lord.

And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?

And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts. And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts.

Moroni 8: 10-15

Behold I say unto you that this thing shall ye teach—repentance and baptism unto those who are accountable and capable of committing sin; yea, teach parents that they must repent and be baptized, and humble themselves as their little children, and they shall all be saved with their little children.

And their little children need no repentance, neither baptism. Behold, baptism is unto repentance to the fulfilling the commandments unto the remission of sins.

But little children are alive in Christ, even from the foundation of the world; if not so, God is a partial God, and also a changeable God, and a respecter to persons; for how many little children have died without baptism!

Wherefore, if little children could not be saved without baptism, these must have gone to an endless hell.

Behold I say unto you, that he that supposeth that little children need baptism is in the gall of bitterness and in the bonds of iniquity; for he hath neither faith, hope, nor charity; wherefore, should he be cut off while in the thought, he must go down to hell.

For awful is the wickedness to suppose that God saveth one child because of baptism, and the other must perish because he hath no baptism.

-----

Would some people consider an 8 year old a little child? Yes. By maturity standards is an 8 year truly accountable for their actions? Probably not.

Baptism at 8 is prudent for the church. It indoctrinates people from an early age that certain processes need to take place to progress through the church and through the eternities. It boosts the church membership substantially, it requires that parents maintain contact with the church and create social norms and patterns during the initiation period of their marriages.

My baptism at 8 was a special father son moment more so than a spiritual rebirth. I wasn't agreeing to bear anybody's burdens, I wasn't willing to mourn with those who mourn, but I was willing to share a special Saturday with my mom and dad. It's a traditional ritual for active mormons more than a spiritual birth.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote