View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 04:51 AM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you are talking to people who would eliminate virtually all taxes and all safety nets.

poor kid sick? screw him. If he wants to live, a rich person needs to make a donation in his name.
This is what I don't understand....because it certainly sounds like that is what people are advocating...and I don't grasp that attitude.

It is like talking to my Utah FIL (not AZ FIL).....he says, "poor people are lazy and should work harder." While I dont disagree that SOME poor people are lazy and should work harder (as are some wealthy people), I can't understand how he has convinced himself to think in such black and white generalities...as though the magical solution for ALL downtrodden is simply to work harder.

I have stated before that I cut through Skid Row almost every day I work downtown because it saves me a chunk of time on my commute.

If I were any one of those people down there....and I saw the "light" today...and decided that tomorrow would be the day I begin to work harder....what the heck would I do without government programs to get me going? Who is realistically going to hire me? Or even talk to me? Where am I going to live? Shower? Many of these folks cannot even read and have nowhere to go. They want to change things, but the reality is that it is almost impossible.

I think the next time I drive through Skid Row, I will pull over and just tell everyone to work harder. Also, I will buy some crank.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote