View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #23
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Why not discuss it in the temple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My take on Leb's comment...

First, I dont think he was being flip. It is a fair point that he and fus raise. Since nobody knew the direction in which fus was headed, most of us, including myself, jumped in and told him to basically knock it off. In reality, he was asking a fairly benign question.

I disagree that it is strange for us to refrain from discussion or analytics in journals, magazines, Sunday School lessons, etc. Those are informal venues that contain no intimacy of spirit. The fact that apostates have leaked information online is not persuasive to me. It isnt enough to simply give up and say, "well....it's out there now....might as well show it to the world..."

I do think it would be somewhat strange for a husband and wife to not discuss certain aspects of the total experience, especially within the walls of the home. After all, we believe that ONLY the home can compare to the temple in terms of sacredness. While the temple is the only venue in which we can perform certain ordinances, the home can still be a sacred sanctuary in which we discuss them with the appropriate parties....namely, spouse (maybe older children when the time is right?).

I am not suggesting that once you get home, it is time to re-enact the ceremony from start to finish, but I know that my wife and I have shared our thoughts, observations, questions, etc while at home. Perhaps we should not be doing this, but I feel fine with it. Maybe it is a personal preference.

Basically, I have always thought that one of the benefits of keeping temple discussions contained to sacred places (home and temple) is that it motivates us to go there and discuss, ask questions, etc.. Going to the temple and partaking is a privilege, not a right (although it is a privilege that can be earned by all). One of the blessings of being worthy of such a privilege is the ability to "talk a Godly talk," or, in other words, discuss openly the mysteries of the kingdom.
rather than in the 'world'?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote