View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #34
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Oh I agree, but I don't think we could defend them in time even if we wanted to at this moment, unless it was with tactical nukes. Look how quickly Hitler put the unwary continent under his thumb. I don't think Russia has aspirations beyond its former client states even in its wildest dreams. Then again, that was the thinking in Munich in 1939 when Hitler was allowed to keep Czechoslovakia.

It isn't crazy to think in terms of what a country is capable of. This is the very reason that Russia totally ignores what we say about our missile shield deployment in Poland. They only look to what capability it gives us. These are lessons that other generations have learned. I hope we don't have to learn them, but the reality seems to be that once the generation that has experienced an authentic threat first hand passes away, the new generation doesn't quiet believe it can ever emerge until it does. Fortunately we have always had the luxury of geographic isolation.
Which is why Putin has made Bush look like a joke over there. Bush expected Putin to take him at his word that the missile defense in E. Europe was about terrorism when Putin only sees the potential of using it against Russia. Bush's foreign policy is at best naive, and at worst, totally moronic.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote