Thread: on Walmart
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

The story is that a place like Wal-Mart encourages our unsupportable consumption by making everything so cheap and cheaply. Their toasters last one year, their lamps two. They're also a product of the suburbs, absolutely car-dependent, gobbler of land, terrible for town planning centered on quality of life. They're impersonal and soul crushing; physically depressing atmospheres. Wal-Mart has single-handedly bankrolled the rise of China, whose citizens are paying the environmental price.

If we consider the following values worth supporting, Wal-Mart does not: sustainability; quality; community; personableness; human connection; sensitive built environment . . . But, in return for the sacrifice of those values, we do receive cheap diapers, laundry detergent, and bath towels. For many, the trade is surely worth it.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote