View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:33 AM   #42
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
I've also given you an opportunity to answer a question that you've dodged as well.

It's really simple. Who's right on the issue of gay marriage. You or Jesus Christ?

Also spare me the long winded typical B.S. political diatribe non-answer answer.

Answer the question.
I think there's a bit of a disconnect in your continuing to press this question.

First of all, your question is purely rhetorical and leading, in that the way you have phrased it suggests the only correct answer. It's the way you would talk to a child. Of course you're not going to get reasoned answers to your question. You've made it clear that you don't wish to debate the issue, because you already know your position is right. And hoya's is wrong. I don't understand why you keep injecting yourself into the discussion.

The short answer is obvious: Jesus Christ is correct.

Now, what's the question? That's what isn't clear to me. what is clear is that the issue of homosexual marriage is such a hot button issue that civil discussion without name-calling and (unspoken but still evident) calls to repentance is virtually impossible, even here.

I don't think everyone involved in this thread even knows what the question is. Some are answering as if hoya thinks there is nothing immoral about homosexual activity. I think it's pretty clear what the church's stance is on the issue.

I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke pot, I don't steal from people, I don't engage in homosexual sex. If you're talking about whether individuals here are willing to accept the church's stance on these issues, and not engage in them personally, I don't know what all the fuss is about. That question is clear - the position of the church (and of Jesus Christ) is that we shouldn't engage in activities that are immoral.

I think the real issue here is what about homosexual marriage.

Again, I don't plan to marry another man, and I don't think hoya plans to, either. I think we all accept that homosexual marriage is against the policies of the church.

I think the very first post was regarding a view of homosexual marriage and its political ramifications. That is what I think hoya was responding to.

It very quickly became an orgy of righteous indignation and moralistic pedagogy.

Solely from a political perspective, I think it was nothing but an election-year grandstanding attempt to help a reeling Republican party galvanize its Christian conservative base.

Knowing that, it's a little embarrassing to me to see the church get caught up in something that even the proponents didn't really think would pass. It's like the church joined in the Republican tactics. However, before you condemn me to hell, I really don't have a problem with the church pointing out the issue to the members.

What I got from hoya's arguments is that maybe homosexual marriage isn't going to be such a destroyer of the family, and that maybe the issue's being blown out of proportion by the proponents of the amendment. Again, I'm not saying whether this position is right or not, but I certainly don't see a problem with debating it.

I think people are overlooking an important point here - the fact that the effort was made to draft the amendment suggests that the divinely-inspired constitution doesn't prohibit the states from allowing homosexual marriage. Try to wrap your brains around that one.

There's a blurry line here between allowing free agency and legislating morality. Our free society allows immoral conduct, with some limitations. Some here err on the side of prohibiting the immoral conduct. Others err on the side of allowing free choice.

I think the discussion is a valid one. I have read through the thread a few times, and I think hoya is being unfairly excoriated. I don't see the arrogance he's being accused of, but I do see it coming from the other side of the table.

I'm ambivalent on the subject - I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other, so I think I'm not caught up in the emotion of the argument. At the risk of focusing the anti-hoya ire on me, I think the personal attacks against him are getting out of hand, and they seem to me to be out of step with what he's posting. For whatever my opinion is worth.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote