View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 01:51 AM   #45
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
My belief is the evidence that he sneers at any who disagree. He assumes his arguments are the only ones, and rather than deal with disagreeable, he ends, "hilarious, you make me laugh", even though he is but a young lad with no diversity of experience and the collective experience of people older is of no moment. That is an example of arrogance.
Archaea, I don't recall all of the examples of when he finally said, "Hilarious, you make me laugh," but I do remember a lot of invective coming from your part. When faced with the kind of rhetoric you were using, one can either choose to be deeply offended and try to take an eye for an eye, or one can choose to laugh it off

For example, out of the blue, he talked about "God given rights," a notion that is generally synonymous with "Natural rights," and which has been commonly discussed in politics for several hundred years now, and you started talking about blasphemy. Does a person choose to take offense at something like that or does one choose to laugh at the absurdity?

Now don't take offense. I believe in absurdity, and I will be the first in line to make an absurd observation from time to time in order to validate my essentially existential view of things, but between taking offense at the absurd and trying to see humor in it, one of those choices is usually considered the more mature option (psst... humor is the mature path!).

So, unless you are still reading Derrida, or are riffing on the nature of the absurd, I think you should give the man a break.

Cheers,

R.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote