Thread: Excommunication
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUHoopster View Post
Without going into details I have recently been made aware that a current Bishop and former member of my Stake Presidency has had ongoing affairs over many years. I assume there is no question that he will be exed.

My question is how long does the process take? Assuming he met with the Stake President today will he be excommunicated by the end of the week or will it take longer. Further, because of his status in the church will they be announcing this over the pulpit?
There's ALWAYS a question whether he will be exed. His public position makes it a little more likely but when none of us know the details, we can't know how things will go down. I've been surprised (pleasantly) by several cases of people I've known who were not ex'ed. It seems that the Church is moving away from automatic excomunication.

Also, in both of the recent cases I've known, the process has taken several (3-4) months. It's true that if schedules align, they could do it quickly, but in both of these cases, the stake president wanted to take time to get to know the person, the circumstances, the efforts at repentance, etc. I think that's wise.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote