Thread: Excommunication
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUHoopster View Post
Without going into details I have recently been made aware that a current Bishop and former member of my Stake Presidency has had ongoing affairs over many years. I assume there is no question that he will be exed.

My question is how long does the process take? Assuming he met with the Stake President today will he be excommunicated by the end of the week or will it take longer. Further, because of his status in the church will they be announcing this over the pulpit?
I am also inclined to believe that based upon his position that the excommunication is a foregone conclusion. That said, there will still need to be a court with the SP and the High Counsel and time for him to bring any witnesses he may wish to in his defense, as well as time for any of those who have been harmed to testify if they wish to. The logistics may take some time.

I would hope that something like this can be dealt with in private as much as possible and without the need for an announcement over the pulpit. Unfortunately this sort of secret is is rarely well kept. I would assume that most of the stake will learn of it, if not the details of it, pretty quickly.