View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #23
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I think Beck is fine. He does what he can with the teammates that surround him. The few times I saw him play I noticed that there were moments where he panicked just a bit and hurried things - in the Utah game I honestly think if he would have tucked the ball, put his head down and went hard, he would have gotten the first down in the OT, but he threw the ball instead. He seemed to me that he'd rather throw the ball away than take a hit.

It also didn't help him that Watkins dropped way too many balls. Brown was a very effective running back, but from my perspective, his running game didn't seem to compliment Beck's passing enough to help Beck. That may have been the receivers' fault for not taking advantage of Brown's ability to force a defense to focus on his running - they should have had some open lanes in the intermediate routes. At times, it also looked like the O-line was a sieve.

I don't know what the anti-Beck crowd wants. The guy was First Team All-Conference. First team All-Conference is pretty dang good in my book.
Your first paragraph shows why he's not great in my book.

What do anti-Beck's want? Even though I don't consider myself anti-Beck, I'll answer your question (since according to some definitions I am). A guy that is cool under pressure, that wins, that doesn't "panic and hurry things".

I think he's gotten better in that regard (see TCU and UNM games), but he still has a ways to go. I hope he can get there. I want him to get there. I think he can get there.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote