View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #27
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Beck played pretty well in the Utah game. It's not his fault that we had a defense that let a QB like Ratliff rush for 119 yards and couldn't stop a 3rd and long to save their life.

Curtis Brown dropped a SURE FIRE Touchdown on the first play of the game...is that Beck's fault as well?

Beck played great in that game. It is not possible for a Quarterback to play defense.

Also if we stopped using Brown, which we really didn't....wouldn't that then be the fault of the coaching staff and not John Beck's, so the criticism there is unfounded towards Beck.

A re-watching of that game shows quite a bit about Beck's saavy to make a play.
You're right Rocky. The defense couldn't stop a 3rd and 23 and allowed a 2nd string QB who isn't particularly mobile to run for 100+ yards. Those things cannot be blamed on Beck.

But, DESPITE the piss-poor 1st half, despite the swiss cheese defense, BYU still had chances to win the game at the end of regulation. The defense didn't overthrow Harline. The defense didn't sphyxter up in OT (well, they did techincally, but not when BYU had the ball). My point is, I expect my QB, given those types of opportunities, to make plays like that, like the pass to Harline, or be smart enough to tuck it and run, or make something happen.

Now, there are a lot of people at fault for the Utah loss. Utah also deserves some credit as well, because they won. I will say that a bigger part of the blame should fall on the defense, but Beck also deserves his share of the blame as well. And if he can't take that type of criticism, then he shouldn't have been a quarterback. End of story.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote