View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

I don't think it would be the Church's policy to horde cash like this. I would hope they'd have Buffett's philosophy, which is spend it or lose it. He told the Gates Foundation that they had to spend a certain percentage of his donation each year, all of which had to be spent within a certain time frame. I forget the exact numbers.

I think this should be the philosophy of the Church -- the tithes and offerings should be spent. Sure, there should be a nest egg for insurance purposes, but $5 billion would not be the appropriate size, IMO. Anyways, if tithing donations completely fall off a cliff, do we really think the tithes of years past should subsidize the less faithful church? Also, it shows a lack of faith to horde the money. Prudence says $1 billion, not $5 billion. I would have issues if that were the case.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote