View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #32
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonass View Post
Just Curious ER about how much you gave last year in addition to your taxes to the government for social programs. I mean, did you give an extra couple thousand......maybe 5000 extra above your taxes as an earmark for poverty or your favorite social program. Far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money. If you didn't, then I guess you're voting with your feet. On the other hand, some of us just vote at the polls. Are you really going to trust your local bureaucrat to do the best thing for society. If so you really have some misplaced trust.

I guess if your answer is no to the above, you're proposal is no better than the argument of keeping it out of government.
1) I actually did give quite a bit more this last year, as I made more money. I'd wager I give a larger percentage of my income than you do, based on averages. Not that it's any of your business (or relevant to the discussion).

2) I'm not asking for tax cuts or rebate checks or anything, with the claim that I will direct my money more efficiently to help the poor. Those who make this claim better at least give a portion of that recent tax break they got to charitable organizations. I'm still waiting to hear from the first one who did this...

3) I stand to be hurt more than most by Obama's tax plan (marginal tax increase of around 10%, while watching most everyone else get tax cuts), yet I'm still considering voting for him. So spare me the "you just want more of my money to waste" rhetoric.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote