View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #99
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Did you miss the part about where it was codified into an NSC document? Obviously you don't appreciate the significance of that. This is what our government does when it sets out its policies. Often they are not made public for many many years and they never apply their own gloss. Truman didn't come up with "Truman Doctrine."

If you didn't ever take a US foreign policy class in college I can understand not knowing all this. But for people setting policy this is elementary stuff. I would suggest this book (you can skim it) to get the broad strokes of our doctrines over time:

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Globalism.../dp/0140268316

You may just be toying with me here. Otherwise you are being Waters-esc in over confidently wading into a subject you obviously know very little about. There must be someone else in the room with poli-sci degree who will come to my aid here. This is basic stuff.
My point is that "Bush Doctrine" is a term that was always arcane, more pejorative than objectively descriptive, and hasn't been used much for years. Today no one would credit Bush with something coherent as the term doctrine implies.

If Gibson had been interviewing any other candidate he would have added a clause to his question explaining what the Bush Doctrine is (it's not rocket science), for the viewers, most of whom probably don't know what it is. But he was in a mode of wanting to embarrass her for whatever reason, like Noah and Barbara have noted.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote