View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I don't know quite how to explain it, but I don't feel pity for the woman, I usually feel love for them. I think that sounds weird, but it's true. I can't ever remember having felt any anger, but I understand why that seems like a logical response. In fact, before they start the exam the forensic nurse interviews the victim about what happened, and one of the nurses inparticular gets pretty worked up during the interviews.

As far as what we talk about, I have to really play it by ear. Some of the women really want to talk about what happened. For others they're really numb, and they don't want to talk much at all, but they're generally pretty inclined to sit there and listen to me ramble on about anything and everything that comes to mind. Some women just want to be distracted, and they're really eager to chit-chat about their family, their job, music, tv, etc. I've heard that occasionally you'll get one that is cracking jokes, or one that is really enraged, but I haven't encountered either of those responses thus far.
I had a student who was sexually assaulted two years ago. She missed a good chunk of class while she was dealing with medical and law enforcement personnel. One thing she told me was that the woman who sat with her while she was at the clinic was a huge help to her and really kept her from just losing it altogether. Again, my hat's off to you for doing this job.