View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm remembering that video that Sooner posted with the cleric chanting and such. I have two thoughts about that. First, as Sooner tacitly acknowledged, if you videotaped some of the stuff Mormons do many people would roar with laughter at that too.

Second, I can't believe people including Harris take that kind of stuff so seriously. They might just as well have had a vidoe of people line dancing, as far as I'm concerned. If I decided not to like or not to vote for or work for anyone who had weird religious practices in this country I'd probably be nearly a recluse. This is a country fraught with weird religious movements.

I hope you all have seen that I approach religion with a great deal of humor. It doesn't scare me anymore. I think it's mostly artifact, and I think American born religions are pretty much all ridiculous. The fact they hate one another and ridicule one another is farcical. Pure kitsch. They're also all scared, sad speactacles that are in decline.

Have any of you considered that Harris writes this stuff because it's his living? He's no different than people on cross-fire. He doesn't take it as seriously as you do. It's just a job.

The only truly dangerous religious movement left is Islam.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote