View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I absolutely disagree.

* BYU had only nine possessions this game. They scored on 3 of those, and missed a FGA. That's not that bad in terms of putting your team in position to score.

* BYU ran NINE plays in Q1. NINE!!!! Of those:

1. 1st & 10: +16 pass to Reed
2. 1st & 10: -2 pass to Collie
3. 2nd & 12: +6 pass to Pitta
4. 3rd & 6: Incomplete to Collie.
-Punt.
5. 1st & 10: +9 pass to Unga (from BYU 9).
6. 2nd & 1: +5 rush Collie.
7. 1st & 15: Pass Incomplete to Reed.
8. 2nd & 15: +11 pass to Collie.
9. 3rd & 4: Pass incomplete to Reed.

I have NO problem passing on 1st & 10 to open the drives, and you can't argue with the results - both opening plays were successes. Beyond that, the ONLY play we could have run the ball but didn't was the 2nd 1st & 10 in drive 1.

* BYU held a VERY good UNM Rushing O to 60% of their normal output, DESPITE UNM "surprising" us with the QB option play that wasn't apparent in film.

The MLB's were over-pursuing. Once the coaches reigned them in, and they were covering their assignments better, the cut-back option the QB was using closed up significantly.

* Given the fact UNM ran the ball 50 times, are you really that surprised the zone was softer than normal? The LB's were cheating to cover the run, which made what is normally a soft spot in the zone (underneath along the sidelines) even softer.

If BYU has no turnovers, scores a TD on 33% of their drives & adds a FGA on another 11% of their drives, holds TCU to 60% of their normal rushing O, I think BYU wins & wins easily.
You disagree with Bronco's specfic quote after the game that they (BYU) deliberately planned to be conservatively offensively?

Also, there was much discontent among the coaches througout the game directed towards Anae and his conservative approach.

We gave UNM's defense more respect than they deserve. We allowed them to set and dictate tempo for much of the 1st half and that is NOT BYU Football.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 10-13-2008 at 06:55 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote