View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
For those that oppose Prop 8, are you rethinking your view of what eternal marriage is, i.e. does marriage in the eternities necessarily involve a man and a woman (I guess I have to include "at least" one of each)? Or do you think the Church may someday redefine/clarify what eternal marriage involves?

For me, the issue about Prop 8 involves the involvement of the church in politics but I get the sense from some that they feel like the Church's definition of marriage needs to change as well.
For me, no, I'm not rethinking anything. My opposition to Prop 8 does not stem from a desire to make Gay Marriage part of the church's doctrine, but rather because civil marriage, to me, has little to do with Eternal Marriage. I don't expect the Church to change the definitions and requirements for a temple marriage, and don't have any desire for them to do so. Civil marriage has always encompassed a lot of things that would not be acceptable for a temple marriage, such as open marriages. I don't believe that open marriages should be accepted by the church, but I have no argument with people who want this for themselves, or at least no legal argument.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote