View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It depends on interest level and budget

I know a little about your budget, but I'll not reveal it. Thus we wil discuss it generally.

Budgetwise persons not related to certain lawyers' wives would argue that you should purchase an entry level bike to see if you enjoy the sport. My question to you is what type a person are you? Are you the type who typically starts a lot of projects but rarely finishes one? If so, get the cheaper bike.

One problem from my perspective, warped as it is, the cheaper bikes, good when compared to yesterday's bikes, are less comfortable than more expensive bikes.

If you give it a fair shot, I've not me anybody who hasn't enjoyed biking.

Componetry is important.

You'll probably be advised to buy Shimano, a more economical choice than Campy, even though you are an Italian lover, for two reasons. The componetry is cheaper, and cheaper to fix by a long shot.

Some people will say 105 componetry is okay. I don't like that level, but I like fluid motions. I recommend Ultegra, unless you can afford Durace, top of the line, unless you modify cranks and what not.

High expense focuses upon two factors, comfort and weight. The lighter the more expensive. Comfort also requires more expensive workmanship.

Heavier guys like aluminum, but it breaks down with lots of weight and power. Carbon is probably the best buy, and you can find reasonably priced bikes in that range. Titanium is the worst buy but a great ride for lighter guys.