View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

They are both decent bikes. Obviously the 1436 has nicer componentry and is going to be a bit pricier.

Shimano and Campy and the primary parts makers for shifters, brakes, cassettes, etc. I'm much more familiar with Shimano and therefore am more partial to it. I agree with Archaea that dollar for dollar, Ultegra is the way to go. Dura Ace is way overpriced and in no way worth buying unless you are getting paid to ride. I rode Shimano Sora for 2 years on my beater bike and did just fine for >200 miles. If you don't know any different, there is little to complain about.

Others are fiercely loyal to Campy, some even going as far as getting it tatooed on their backs. As I understand it, there is a slightly different feel when shifting. The shifters are also a slightly different configuration, but is not a huge deal once you're comfortble with them.

The 1436 also has a fairly decent wheelset, as compaired to the 1433. I think this is an important part of the bike, as it is the only thing keeping you wheelside down when riding.

Definitely go with the clipless pedals, as both of these bikes have, if you plan on sticking with it. Requires a specific pair of shoes and cleats, but makes a huge difference for comfort and control of the bike.

I also think its a good idea to go with the triple ring crankset, especially if you plan on riding any kind of hills/mountains.

I wish I knew more about Bianchi. They seem like decent bikes for the price. It's good to see that they finally went away from the mint green frame color that they were famous for.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote