View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #19
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Do you mean, for the Church, this issue will go the way of polygamy and the priesthood ban? That is, that the Church will come to accept gay sex within the bonds of marriage as permissible under the law of chastity?

I don't think so.

I think SU is indeed onto something, but not for the reason he identified. Here's why. Let's do a little thought experiment: The year is 2008 and the Church still has the ban on blacks and the Priesthood. What would the social status of the Church be? The rate of conversion? The likelihood that a rapidly progressing society would tolerate such an organization? Its tax-exempt status? Gone. Its public good will? Gone. Community support? Gone. Affiliation with the Boy Scouts (not even they would tolerate official racism)? Gone. BYU's tax-exempt status? Gone. And so forth. Project that out twenty years, to 2028, and the repercussions would be even more immense.

The same will be true with gay marriage and gay rights. The writing is on the wall. The end result is a given. Even if Prop. 8 passes, so what. Give it a decade (or less), and Californians will amend their constitution again. At some point, the Church's stance on gay sex and gay marriage will be so out of the mainstream, that it will be forced into a sort of exile. For now, many other religions stand with the Church, but they too will change policies and stances one by one. Once the Catholic Church changes, the end will be near.

Don't dismiss SU . . . I think he's uncovering the reason the leaders of the Church most fear gay marriage: it will make the Church a pariah in the centuries to come, reversing the hard fought gains in social acceptance.

The writing is on the wall, concerning gay marriage and the LDS Church?

You truly think the Brethren are "going to come around" to the worlds way of thinking in order to better fit into society?

Yeah I can clearly see the similarities to Blacks and the Priesthood and gay marriage, yeah they are virtually the same. LOL

Why don't you see if you can arrange a meeting with President Monson and tell him how wrong he is, tell him that the writing is on the wall and that somewhere in the not too distant future the Church is just going to have to come to it's senses and allow gays to get equal status before the lord, including temple sealings, etc..... Yeah I can see that meeting going over really well, but hey why not, after all you and a few of your fellow enlightened CG'ers have proven time and again to be smarter than those "old gray hairs in SLC".
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote