Thread: The next Prop 8
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I would argue that LDS marriage (as typically practiced) makes women subservient to men, but that's a whole other thread...

What brought the subject up for me today was an interview with a polygamist on mormonstories.org that I listened to on the way to work. She struck me as intelligent, educated, articulate, and very modern in her thinking. In fact, I found her much more tolerant and reasoned in most of her views than the average person in my ward. While she admitted that abuses of power did occur (she was very critical of the Warren Jeffs FLDS sect), she believed that polygamy, practiced well, was not sexist at all. In fact, she points out that many are in a situation where the women can alternate child-rearing responsibilities and thus get out of the house to pursue career opportunities.
Lack of economic independence makes women in marriage subservient to men, in some degree. If she has independent income, the status of a woman rises, because she may make decisions independently. That's not saying where the independence isn't practiced or exercised, but the dependence upon the man for revenue creates subservience, IMHO.