View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
"Revisiting Thomas F. O’Dea’s The Mormons"

http://www.uofupress.com/store/product362.html

I haven't read O'Dea's original work, so I'll pass on this one until I can get to the original. I'm sure a few of you have read O'Dea's original work -- what did you think? And if you've had a chance to read Revisiting, what did you think of it? With contributors like Givens and Mauss, I assume it's an interesting read.
Until now, I was unaware of it, but I'll likely get it. I have a particular interest in this because, in 1975, I was about to give the graduate address for my college convocation (I was eventually denied this opportunity, perhaps because the overseers took offense at the "[Pause, turn and moon Prof. Sorenson, continue]" portion of my draft address. But my talk, the text of which is now lost to the world, focused on a portion of O'Dea's work which noted the Church's huge commitment to education and queried whether the Church would be able to withstand the challenges that come from a well-educated and questioning flock.

Since O'Dea wrote this around the time of SeattleUte's birth, I believe he was prophetic in noting the serious threat SU would pose to our well-being. My talk was meant to reassure the masses that we were up to the challenge. The jury's still out, but I think we are.

Thanks for the link.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote