View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Generally, I am opposed to the government paying for much of anything. However, from a strictly financial point of view, it would make sense to pay for them. Abortion is cheaper than a lifetime of food stamps, housing, education, and prison. I am not an expert, but it would seem that most women who have an abortion do so because they are not fit at that time to be a parent.

I don't like abortion and wish people wouldn't do it, but I am not any more opposed to the goverment paying for it than anything else.
You make a good point that abortion is cheaper than a lifetime of social support. However, while there are certainly women who have abortions who aren't ready to be parents, I'm very surprised at the number of women I see who have convenience abortions. I guess I can't really make that judgment, but financially speaking, they could certainly handle it. From my experience, it's about half and half. Then again, we're talking about Medicaid funding and most of those on Medicaid are probably not able to financially handle a child.

What bothers me is the lack of funding for birth control. The same conservatives that strongly oppose abortion also resist any effort to provide birth control options to adolescents. Just stupid.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote