View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #72
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Yes- he has said he will curtail executive powers. Are you really this obtuse? He has discussed the overreaching of the executive branch on multiple occasions. Here is one site listing several of his statements:

http://www.onemillionstrong.us/showDiary.do?diaryId=492

Again, if you are looking for someone to curtail the power of the executive branch, I fail to see how you can even consider McCain. It is all the more amusing given the timing of your question, which happens to correspond to yet another statement by Palin that expanding the powers of the VP may occur in her discretion, coupled with her endorsement of Cheney as one of the greatest VPs this nation has ever had.
Quote:
"The Supreme Court has never held that the president has such powers. As president, I will follow existing law, and when it comes to U.S. citizens and residents, I will only authorize surveillance for national security purposes consistent with FISA and other federal statutes."
Where is the guarantee? Existing law allows the current President to act as he has acted -- so in other words Obama will act similarly to Bush?

Quote:
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States. In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent. History has shown us time and again, however, that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the Legislative branch. It is always preferable to have the informed consent of Congress prior to any military action.

As for the specific question about bombing suspected nuclear sites, I recently introduced S.J. Res. 23, which states in part that "any offensive military action taken by the United States against Iran must be explicitly authorized by Congress." The recent NIE tells us that Iran in 2003 halted its effort to design a nuclear weapon. While this does not mean that Iran is no longer a threat to the United States or its allies, it does give us time to conduct aggressive and principled personal diplomacy aimed at preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons."
Is the guarantee in there? Or in the next statement maybe ...

Quote:
"No. I reject the Bush Administration's claim that the President has plenary authority under the Constitution to detain U.S. citizens without charges as unlawful enemy combatants."
Furthermore, aren't these answers from the primaries ... where are the links to his guarantee statements of his current platform running as the Democratic nominee?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote