Thread: on Blessings
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I frequently see arguments in this forum that involve directly or tangentially the notion that it is inconceivable that God would bless you for some behavior or another. For example, some express skepticism that God would bless us for following a leader even if he is wrong. This makes me wonder what we think a blessing is.

The premise for some of these types of comments seem to be that as we perform some act or another God will endow us with some attribute or perhaps some advantage. IOW, it is a supernatural occurrence. I don't think blessings are typically given to us in that manner.

In my mind, God prescribes many rules of conduct. We are told to be charitable, loving, patient, kind, to be concerned about our fellow person and so forth. These are intrinsically good acts and positive communal behaviors. Blessings flow necessarily from such actions, not by means of a supernatural endowment, but as a natural consequence of the positive act. If we are patient with someone in our lives, we develop patience and learn self control. If we act charitably we develop a charitable nature which improves lives around us and makes us happier. The blessings are inherent in the positive act. This is why anyone can obtain blessings from God, if you will, because these acts naturally lead to positive benefits.

This is not to suggest that blessings are only given to us as a natural consequence of our actions. IMO, God can and does strengthen us and assists us in pursuing these positive actions. Moreover, at times God can perform miracles both with or without humans as instruments of action. Even so, many times we are promised blessings through obedience and I think this means that the positive acts themselves lead to positive effects on us and others around us which we will recognize as blessings.
Makes sense to me.