View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I think there are a lot of efficiencies to be gained by socializing medicine. However, I'm concerned that Americans just aren't ready for it.
I agree, on both points, but there's just no way Obama (or anyone else) can do a HillaryCare (or Canadian or UK) solution. It simply won't work in the US, not now, likely not ever.

The two biggest problems areas in US healthcare are insurance and Rx $$.

Competition between the private & public sectors on health insurance will help drive costs down, overall, and force the private insurers to become more efficient. No matter how successful the public insurance plan(s) might become, there will always be a market for private insurance, for supplemental insurance if nothing else.

Expectations in other nations of a completely egalitarian system won't be a problem here. Americans are used to the idea of paying extra for expedited or premium service. It's that way in air travel, sporting events, etc.

If you're the 40-something athlete & don't want to wait for your MRI, there's nothing preventing your from ponying up $$ to have it done sooner, or paying the supplemental insurance to get expedited service.

Regarding Big Pharma, why shouldn't the American public get the same price the Canadian public gets? If there is cost shifting on research funding, end it, make the Canucks & others share the costs. Right now Big Pharma sticks it to the American consumer because they can.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote