View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
The intellectual honesty of atheists aside, I think he touches on a couple of interesting questions.

1) What is the purpose of infusing Christian rhetoric into our politics? If, after decades and decades it's now clear (and I believe it is) that cloaking conservative politics within a religious discourse fails to conceal the fact that religious social agenda is in no way being advanced in this country, why do we maintain the dialogue? Why continue to fool ourselves?

2) Do he majority of believers really *believe* what they espouse? Or, alternately, do they simply hope to be true what they claim to believe?
1) I wish Christian rhetoric wouldn't be infused into politics. One of the reasons for the fall of the Republican party is their selling their sould to the religious right.

2) There are all different levels of belief, and most religious will fully admit different levels of belief (well, except for Mormons in F&T meeting). Personally, I believe different principles with different levels of certainty, and I think my actions, at least the well-thought out ones, reflect these different levels of certainty.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote