View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you plan to be so ambivalent about all your childrens' endeavors or just the LDS church?

In other words, when your kid is a teen and he has to go to football practice and he says, "nah, don't really feel like it today, I want to play xbox," are you going to say, "Cool! I dont really care one way or the other. Do your thing, homie!"

Seems like you are putting your biases on your kids already, even though it may not feel like that is what is happening.

Why be neutral about any of your childrens' interests?
Obviously there will be things that will not be optional. Like going to school and things like that. Hobbies like football, cheerleading, and fishing can be done as they wish. I will explain to them before they join a team the importance of teamwork, etc. But in the end, if my son plays a half year of football and doesn't like it, I probably won't drag him down to practice.

In regards to religion, I would like to teach them about many faiths. I don't want them to get a one sided approach. I wish I had some family members of other faiths. I will do my best to let them know that religion is personal and they can choose what makes sense to them. My biases will obviously come in to play, but less so than in a person that forces their kids to go to church and convinces them to believe as they do at all costs. If they ask what I believe, I will try to present my beliefs in a way that doesn't influence them too much.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote