Thread: Closing Temples
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #41
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The threat of closing temples is a little extreme. It could potentially come to that, I suppose, but that would be the nuclear option.

More likely would be lawsuits that would force churches (not only ours) to perform gay marriages. Yes, I know ... I've read all the lawyers who say it's impossible. I don't believe them.

I also don't believe that just because that hasn't yet happened in Massachusetts, it means it couldn't.
Tex, I sort of understand your concern which reflects that held by a great many others. I don't expect the following to allay that concern but, if nothing else, you can file away the following information and use it to embarrass a lot of people should your fears eventually be realized.

Anyway, group of 60 or so law professors here in California, mainly in the field of constitutional law (the lawyers here will recognize some pretty big names), have weighed in unanimously that the concerns about being forced to conduct gay marriages or the loss of tax exemptions are simply unfounded. They conclude, in part, that:

"The claim that Proposition 8 is necessary to protect the tax exemptions of churches that refuse to solemnize or recognize marriages between same-sex couples is also false. As the Supreme Court of California made clear in its decision in the Marriage Cases, “affording same-sex couples the opportunity to obtain the designation of marriage will not impinge upon the religious freedom of any religious organization, official, or any other person; no religion will be required to change its religious policies or practices with regard to same-sex couples, and no religious officiant will be required to solemnize a marriage in contravention of his or her religious beliefs.” 183 P.2d. 384, 451-52 (2008).""

http://www.californiaprogressreport....utional_1.html

As you fear, history may prove them wrong, but we can bring this out and really embarrass them if it does.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote