View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You are incorrect. If you want, I can dig out the education code sections. If you teach sex ed, you mUST teach reaspect for marriage and both sides agree this will include all types of marriages. and, even if they tell the kids that someone has two daddies, they cannot say they are married if they cannot marry legally.
I actually already posted the links and the text yesterday in a different thread. Here is the code section to which you are referring.

Quote:
Education Code (EC) 51933 (Outside Source) specifies that school districts are not required to provide comprehensive sexual health education, but if they choose to do so, they shall comply with all of the requirements listed below.

Comprehensive sexual health education instruction shall be age-appropriate and bias-free, and all factual information shall be medically accurate and objective. Instruction shall be appropriate for students of all genders, sexual orientations, and ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and it shall be accessible for English language learner students and students with disabilities. Instruction shall encourage communication between students and their families and shall teach respect for marriage and committed relationships.
While you are correct that the final clause does say that instruction shall teach respect for marriage...it ALSO says teach respect for committed relationships. So Prop 8 really has no bearing. The Code already states that committed relationships (gay or straight) shall be taught.

I guess there is one thing that would be finalized with Prop 8.

Teachers can talk about gays in civil unions.

Teachers can tell kids that gays can adopt, be good parents.

Teachers can still tell kids that some kids have 2 mommies and 2 daddies.

The only thing a teacher cannot do is say that gays are "married," because technically, they would not be "married" per Prop 8.

If the hysteria over gay marriage is the poor example and confusing message it allegedly sends to kids, then the issue isnt really the definition of the word. It is the very basic notion of gays living together and raising kids. Prop 8 won't change that in the slightest.

But I agree....teachers would not be able to say that gays are "married."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote