View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Thanks for the link. Great summary of the arguments.

This surprised me:
"by mid-century, less than 65% of LDS Church members surveyed in San Francisco believed that Jesus was divine, less than 60% believed that Joseph Smith saw God, and a little over 50% believed that the Church president was God’s only prophet. The numbers were higher for members living in Salt Lake City (85%, 78%, and 74% respectively) but still low by late twentieth-century standards. Given these trends, it seems likely that a substantial minority of Latter-day Saints up through the mid-twentieth century were not committed to Book of Mormon historicity. Evidently their commitment to the Church had other foundations."

I wonder if this was a survey of active Mormons, but those are certainly surprising numbers.
So I reviewed the link provided on this study (gotta love Google Books). It seems that they interviewed a ward of members in the Bay Area who were itinerant and arguably less active than the average member. In that light, those numbers don't seem all that surprising. Am I missing something?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote