Thread: McCain will win
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #22
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I imagine the honeymoon will be short. The guy has promised you the moon.
Can you point me to any presidential candidate in our lifetimes (use mine, for maximum coverage) who didn't overpromise?

Some more than others, to be sure. I remember Carter doing so in '76, and W did so in 2000. A few days ago, I came across an e-mail from a friend from my youth. He was a rabid liberal in high school and he and I would go at it all the time. Sometime after his years at Cal, he took a huge right turn. A few days before the 2000 election I expressed serious misgivings about W, even though I ended up voting for him. My erstwhile friend sent me the following reassuring e-mail a few days before that election:

"I'll get back to you tomorrow, but hang in there with my man Dubya. He'll do just fine. Remember what a bonehead we former liberals all thought Reagan was, but by the time he ran for President he got my vote twice. Same with GeorgeW -- he is more conservative than his father, and is
only toning down his message because the press wants him to look like a fire-breather. Wait until he gets in with a Republican Congress -- let's see, a flat tax (or consumption), IRS restriction, school vouchers, prayer allowed at football games, three or four right-thinking justices on the Supreme Court, a rebuilt military (and get rid of all women, they're warriors godammit), etc. How's that for starters? We have never had this condition in our or our parents' lifetimes - Republican President and Congress. Please don't give up hope. We can do it." A prophet my friend was not.

On the other hand, I had to smile at a news report this morning that Obama has put together a team whose principal function is to lower expectations for his first term. Duh. Ironically, Sarah Palin would require no such team.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote