View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Does anyone else find this a bit frightening? How again are we different from a cult?

Disclaimer: I'm not claiming that anyone who votes with the Prophet didn't seek and receive some sort of individual confirmation. But that's not part of the hypothetical.
Oh give me a freakin' break. The vast majority of Mormons followed the Prophet's counsel to vote for Prop 8 because they agreed with him. Do I deny that the fact that it came from the Prophet carried a lot of weight? No, of course not.

But the church laid out a case--a strong one, IMO--for voting in favor of it. They didn't just issue an edict from on high.

The Prophet asks people all the time to bring people to church, read your scriptures, attend all your meetings, do your home teaching, pay your tithing ... some do, some don't.

This idea that LDS are a bunch of mind-numbed robots is as silly a caricature as that missionary Prop 8 ad yesterday, and equally as laughable.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote