View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
No, I think you misread things. What it suggests is that social conservatism is no longer an issue that is driving people's votes at the voting booth. People may be socially conservative, but the most important issues they vote on have nothing to do with social conservatism. How else to explain Obama's win in Florida even though over 60% supported a ban on gay marriage? Floridians obviously could agree they don't want gay marriage, but they can also agree that it didn't impact their decision on who should be their president. I hope Republicans misread things and continue to run as the socially conservative party. It doesn't look like it will get them far.
Well, in truth, what drives voters year-to-year changes. Just because it wasn't a major factor this year, doesn't mean it couldn't some other year, cf 2004.

What matters is that this issue resonates with people of all ideologies and demographics, putting No voters in the distinct minority no matter how you slice it. That's encouraging for people who want a conservative agenda moved forward on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The worst senate candidate in a century? You remind me of the people who claim that Obama was the worst presidential candidate in the history of America. Even if he was awful, and I mean awful, it would take some extraordinarily limited perspective to ever arrive at the conclusion of "worst ever," or, in your case, "worst candidate in a century."
Sure, it's a little hyperbole. But Al Franken is unquestionably among the least qualified and most embarrassing options either party has offered in some time.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote