View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I believe the extend to which a private organization can define the rules of public use of its private land are exactly what the case revolves around.

What do you think the boundaries should be?
Since I don't think anyone ever has a right to a tax exemption, I think that the government is free to withdraw it if the conditions of it are not met. I am skeptical whether this would have been done if the association had declined to permit NAMBLA to meet there or some group advocating the voilent overthrow of the government. Or even just the local KKK.

That said, does the locality really think this is going to strong arm the association into having a more open forum? My guess is that no church affiliated group is going to conclude that its principles are for sale, and certainly not over the marginal loss of a tax benefit. The likely result 99.99% of the time is that the privately held land forgoes the exemption and is even more restrictive about use. Seems like stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny unless there is something I have missed.