View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 AM   #14
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I get your point but it doesnt help me. I guess I don't get what to do next. And that is what is confusing. I dont disagree that the Church has made it clear that homosexual behavior is a sin.

OK, so gay is wrong. Fine.

Now what? What do we do with all the gays? You have made your point...gay is wrong, bottom line. So what? That does little to nothing other than state the obvious (in relgious terms, anyhow).

The Church, perhaps through no fault of its own, has no good explanation for gays, why they exist, where they come from, what are we supposed to do with them, what is their role in society, etc...As such, nobody really knows what to do, other than to beat our chests to emphasize the fact that it is wrong.

That is why I said earlier that I am not interested in "boiling it down." I already know that God views the behavior as sinful. My question is, ok...so what do you want me to do now? It is sinful. Great. Now what?

With blacks, we at least had interesting stories to explain their origins....curse of cain, less valiant in the pre-existence, etc....growing up out of the Church, but basically being raised on those teachings, it was something I could at least grasp. "OK, that black guy was less righteous in the pre-existence, so that is why he is black."

With gays, we don't even have that as a guidepost to deal with the issue on a day to day basis....for people in our very own families. From my perspective, that is what is frustrating.

I don't need to know the "why" for everything, either. No active LDS person does, since we havent been given the "why" for everything and yet we remain active and believers, loving the Church and its leaders.

I guess that's kind of my point. So much energy is spent on trying to convince that it is "right" or "not a sin" that could be much more productively used on answering your questions above.

Let's face it, Mormonism is a tough place for ANYBODY that doesn't fit the mold. Singles, part-member families, single-parent families, and yes ... gays. Fix that problem and then maybe there is a place for gays in the Church. If we as a people coud come to grips that not EVERYONE is going to get married and have a family (at least not in this life), that would go a long way. Why shouldn't a celibate gay fully participate in the Church?