View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #78
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
In other posts I have mentioned that I have never known a gay individual that I would consider to have been born gay or at least that they expressed to me that they were born gay. I have interacted with gays in the work place, neighborhood kids I grew up with, church counseling. I will admit, my experience has been limited and the sample pool is minute, but, that interaction and my belief in the creation of man and the existence of God, has led conclude that gay people choose to be gay.
My brother is 13 months younger than I am. We grew up in the EXACT same environment, subject to virtually the same environmental factors. Growing up, there was nobody I was closer to.

He did not choose to be gay. Period.

Yes, there may be people who "choose" the gay lifestyle. But a position on homosexuality that is based on a premise that all homosexuality is a choice fails.

If you want to fall back on your limited experience with people you have known or worked with, I can trump you with mine. I've got 39 years of experience behind my conclusion.

This is the biggest frustration I have with the issue. People drawing on their "experience" to support an erroneous premise in order to avoid the cognitive dissonance that comes with the realization that at least many homosexuals did not "choose" to be gay.

Why do so many LDS work so hard to argue that homosexuality is a choice? Because that is the premise that is most consistent with the LDS bar against homosexuality. When you start to recognize that it isn't, that's when the issue gets more difficult and muddled.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote