View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #80
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't know that playing Anecdote Poker really gets us anywhere in the conversation. Obviously there are some who claim to have chosen to be gay, and many who claim that it is innate. I don't pretend to know the proportions (which is why I asked for some evidence), but the very existence of any who say it was their choice tends to undermine the Absolutist gay-from-birth crowd.

Creekster has suggested it's a continuum, and that seems to be the best approach since there is such a variety of cases. Some, for whatever reason, are more afflicted with this particular temptation than others.
Nice straw man, Tex. Unless I missed something, nobody has claimed the complete absence of a continuum. The argument is about the typical case. To turn your overly simplistic logic around, the very existence of any who say it was not their choice tends to undermine the Absolutist gay-is-a-choice crowd.

As for your request for "evidence", I gave you a link to an article about a BYU prof. who summarizes research in this area. Why did you not comment on that? But either way, you have already indicated that you are inclined to dismiss such evidence out of hand. Why bother?